Christina Simos

Christina Simos
Say what again . . .

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Me, Mark McGuire, Obama & No Negro Dialect

Today was one of those days when I felt like Neo in the Matrix. Hoo Raa. The part towards the end where he came back to life, stopped the bullets and when he flexed - the whole world did to. I stuck to the plan - take care of myself like I take care of others. I came home from Pilate's Fusion with Skip, the ass/leg killer, and was home ALONE. I put the TV on mute, got the music out and started working on it without interruption. I got to groove on myself and just go there. I needed that. Can I say a lot gets done when no one is there to bug you? This is why they say get your career before you get your family. It's not impossible to make it, it's just harder because the family is first. Doesn't matter if I have a career, if I have no one to share it with.

Honesty. You gotta have it in your life. That's why people like Simon Cowell. He tells the truth. If you suck, you suck. I gave a hosting reel to a friend of mine to edit. I thought the copy sucked frankly but I was hoping that I could salvage something and that maybe it was my head talking more crap to me. But it wasn't. It wasn't colorful, witty, sassy or funny. I looked like a caged lion. The only thing fierce was my hair, of course. My friend told me I could do better. I know that. Hosting is about personality. Next time I do stuff for free, I get to ask for a take that shows my personality. That's it. Another lesson learned.

IN OTHER NEWS:
Mark McGuire. Really? First, there is NO cryin' in baseball. Second, you're a douche. You and all the other baseball players who couldn't deal with their own mortality and opted to lie, cheat and steal their way into the record books through the use of steroids. Boo to you. What's up with that?

It just pisses me off that you get to go into the record books and you cheated to do it. How is that fair to Roger Maris? How is that fair to Hank Aaron? How is that fair to anyone who has done greatness without the use of steroids? What happened to personal integrity? I think steroid users should go to the Hall of Shame not the Hall of Fame. Why bother with putting an asterisk by their name? In the Olympics, if you do steroids and you're caught - you lose your medal. What is the difference here? A cheat is a cheat. McGuire said he wishes he had never played baseball during the steroid era. I wish he hadn't either.

Finally, Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) was outed a couple of days ago for referring to our President Barack Obama as a light-skinned African American with no Negro dialect. Apparently he said this back in 2008 when Obama was running for office. People's panties are all in a ruffle. They're screaming racism and asking him to step down. Come on. Really? What's up with that? Like he isn't a light-skinned African American who doesn't use Ebonics except for when he is playing basketball with his homies.

Do you think people would have voted for him if he was blacker than black? WE are not that evolved. We are still running around asking people to don't ask and don't tell. We can't even give all people the right to marry. Just because we voted a Half-Rican American into office doesn't mean that we are all cured of racism, prejudice and discrimination. Only now, we get to have an open conversation about it and let's face it, every race has it's stereotypes. I got the lips to prove it. We all think and say things about each other based upon our gender, culture, religious affiliation, sexual orientation and color.

Reid just said what many people have thought. But because of people like him, we have an opportunity to start healing those old wounds. We have an opportunity to start seeing each other for what we really all are - human beings. That is the journey that will define this new era of change. Thank God for the light-skinned African American in office who gives us all food for thought. Now if I could only get my 40 acres and a mule.

No comments:

Post a Comment